Sparkle Saturday returns

David Diaz

People are encouraged to help clean up the school in this year’s Sparkle Saturday to make the school presentable for an evaluation.

Alumni Ludyn Vasquez and Imani Brown plant flowers during last year's Sparkle Saturday event.
Chris Bower
Alumni Ludyn Vasquez and Imani Brown plant flowers during last year’s Sparkle Saturday event.

Sparkle Saturday is a campus beautification event that usually takes place every year on the Saturday before Open House that encourages people to help clean the school and make it polished.

“Sparkle Saturday is an opportunity for students, parents, teachers and members of the community to help tidy up our school,” Nicole Bootel said. “We delayed it to help prepare for the WASC.”

This year’s Sparkle Saturday will be moved up to April 9 to get the school ready for the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) visit on April 15. The WASC is a process that validates the school’s coursework.

“I like how we get the school all neat and clean so we can keep it a safe learning environment,” senior Pedro Morataya said.

Everyone is welcomed to participate in this year’s Sparkle Saturday regardless if you come to the school or not. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sparkle Saturday was introduced a few years ago because the district cut maintenance hours. Students will be equipped with materials such as brooms and gloves to help clean the school.

“I hope they clean the school and make the school presentable,” sophomore Hannah Tateel said.