Low enrollment causes teacher cuts

Jessica Salguero

Faces have been disappearing from the once overly crowded hallway as enrollment numbers decreased. The consequences of this shift has already impacted the school.

Counselor Martina Torres teaches current DPMHS families about grade point averages (GPA) during student orientation in August. Torres explained how GPAs are calculated and how students can make the honor roll.
Hailey Pohevitz

“The current enrollment was 365 the last time I checked. We lost a few students and we gained a few students, so I think we’re holding. We need to be at 374 to gain a teacher,” Bootel said.

At the end of the fall semester, the music teacher was laid off  due to the low enrollment, which caused the  music program to be cut. Students were missing this class and had to change their schedules. The school is hoping to recruit a large freshman class for next year to try and boost enrollment numbers and bring back the music program.

Only a few students have transferred into DPMHS during the 2015-2016 school year. However, the unique nature of the small school is still enticing to many. Mirabelle Chernick transferred at the beginning of her sophomore year in hopes of a nice change.

“I was in a really big school and it was hard to function. I wanted a small school experience where everyone knows everyone,” Chernick said.

If the enrollment increases and the budget allows for it, the music program could return in August.

“The district has staffing ratios and if the district falls below a certain number that translates into the loss of a teacher and that happened last year,” Bootel said.