Police dog conducts random searches

Cristina Jercan

Earlier this month, Officer Matthew Felts and his canine partner Meeko stopped by to show a demonstration

Principal Deb Smith watches as Officer Matthew Felts demonstrates a locker search with his canine partner Meeko.
Aahad Nasir

of how random checks for drugs should look like.

“The dog is trained to check for illegal substances, particularly drugs,” Principal Deb Smith said.

There has been an increase in reports of students having drugs on campus this year.

These searches can create a safer school environment since they are eliminating a very dangerous threat.

“This is a place of education, not where drugs are being used,” Felts said.

Every search with a canine member is unannounced, allowing for unsuspecting students with illegal substances on them to be caught.

“These checks deter students from bringing drugs to school,” Smith said.

The Los Angeles School Police Department (LASPD) organized the canine unit in 2002. The purpose is to provide school administrators and students with a safe environment, free of drugs and criminal activity. This unit is composed of six police officers and their canine companions.

Police dog Meeko sniffs out bushes during an inspection.
Rosemary Vazquez

Each LASPD canine officer goes through a rigorous system which requires hundreds of hours of professional training and development to complete their official training.  These members are then able to assist in classroom, backpack and locker searches in schools across the district.

“In a way, it kind of prevents kids from getting arrested, which is a good thing,” Smith said.