Girls water polo plays to keep their championship

Alice Curran

Steven Guzman
Freshman Gabriella Angos rests on the side of the pool after the Birmingham Community Charter High School vs. Culver City High School game. BCCHS’s junior varsity team lost 13-4.

Last season, the girls water polo varsity team won the California Interscholastic Federation Championships and are looking forward to maintaining their title.

The Birmingham Community Charter High School team started the season strong with a win against Culver City on Dec.1.

“The team has committed many hours in preparation for this season, training over the summer and since the beginning of school,” head coach Vincent Kezman said.

Due to the success the team had last year, players are confident that this season will bring more great games and wins.

The water polo junior varsity (JV) team lost their first game 13-4 against Culver City.

“The first game was really hard since the girls played really aggressively,” JV player Gabriella Angos said.

Despite the loss, the girls are determined to improve by working hard and pushing themselves at practice.

“I believe in my team and I think we will push harder than any other team to make sure we get to where we are meant to be and to maintain our title,” JV player Genesis Ocampo said.

The next game of the season will be Jan. 11 against Verdugo.