Bullock swings for softball success

Freshman Emma Bullock scores a spot on varsity softball team.
Jazmine Valerio
Freshman Emma Bullock fields a ground ball during varsity girls softball practice on Jan. 18. With 11 years of softball experience under her belt, she intends to continue her pursuit of the sport throughout high school and beyond.

Freshman Emma Bullock is ready to step up to the plate to face the challenges and opportunities this softball season has in store.

Bullock recently made the girls varsity softball team and is thrilled to continue her softball journey at Birmingham Community Charter High School. The start of this season has her filled with excitement to play in games, bond with her team and improve on some of her skills. Bullock is a well-experienced player as she has been playing softball for 11 years and hopes to pursue this sport even after high school. 

She shares how she has always loved the sport and part of her inspiration came from her sisters who also played. They are a massive support to Bullock since she wants to follow in their footsteps. She aims to do better than they did to challenge herself and accomplish her goals this upcoming season. 

“I started playing softball because all my siblings played it and I wanted to be just like my sisters,” said Bullock, who plays right field and first base. “I also just loved the sport and wanted to continue in general.” 

Even though Bullock has a huge passion for the sport, occasionally, she finds herself running into difficulties she has to persevere through. When the feeling of pressure and nerves are present, taking a deep breath and reminding herself that she is capable drives her to continue. She finds that staying motivated can be challenging at times, since it’s something she had to learn on her own but knows it’s key to reaching her goal. 

“I feel like the hardest part is to stay motivated because that’s not something a coach can teach you,” Bullock said. “It’s something you have to do yourself and you really have to find what motivates you if you want to succeed.” 

Here are the upcoming girls softball games for Birmingham Community Charter High School. (Maggie Simonyan)

With being on a new team, Bullock felt that her new teammates were welcoming and easy to get along with. From past experience, she found that teamwork is a huge component in order to be successful and having a good relationship with one another helps make the experience that much more enjoyable. 

“So far a lot of the people are very nice,” Bullock said. “We all get along really well and it’s easy to talk to them. They get serious when it’s time to be serious but they still make it fun. It’s really nice to just know everybody’s got each other’s backs.”