• April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
  • April 20No school on Wednesday, April 24 for Armenian Genocide Observance Day
  • April 20Spring Serenade Festival on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Denim Day will be observed on Tuesday, April 23
  • April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29

Athlete of the Month: Jackson winds up for varsity baseball

Every month, we recognize student athletes for their performance on the field. This month, we recognize freshman Bronson Jackson.

Although this may be his first year on the Birmingham Community Charter High School (BCCHS) varsity boys baseball team, Jackson is not new to the diamond. With over a decade of baseball experience under his belt, he is swinging into high school sports with big plans. He aims to strengthen his baseball skills on the BCCHS team during his time in high school, while being equally committed to academics.

Q: What inspired you to start playing baseball and how long have you been involved?

A: My family and my parents. My dad played baseball in college and my mom played softball. I kind of just followed in their footsteps. I’ve played since I was four. About 11 or 12 years.

Freshman Bronson Jackson takes a break from workout training during baseball practice at Birmingham Community Charter High School on Feb. 28. (Maggie Simonyan)

Q: What team do you play for?

A: Aside from Birmingham, I play for the Perfect Game Baseball Association.

Q: What position do you play?

A: I pitch and I play infield.

Q: What days and times do you have practice?

A: Every day at two.

Q: How do you balance the responsibilities of being an athlete and your academic work?

A: I just try to get as much of the work done as I can as soon as possible. I try not to wait to do it later.

Q: What is your favorite memory while playing baseball? Why?

A: Probably this last summer when I played. We were playing in a bunch of tournaments that were all around the country. Also when I played with the USA team. It was just a really fun time.

Q: Do you plan on pursuing baseball throughout high school and beyond?

A: Yeah, I plan to continue playing.

Sports Editor Maggie Simonyan contributed to this story.