Water polo streams for city championship

Nallely Delara

Senior Maxim Grinfeld arches back to shot the ball. The water polo team aims for city champions.
Adrianna Rojas

After last year’s shortcomings, the boys of the water polo team are ready to get the victory they were robbed of last year.

“I’ve been playing water polo for over four years,” said freshman varsity driver Benjamin Sanchez. “I plan on staying on the team throughout my four years in high school because it’s an amazing sport.”

With just about a month into the season, the team has brought home 14 wins and just six loses. Their last game was against Granada Hills Charter High School, the Birmingham Charter High School Patriots lost 9-8. Their upcoming game against Taft High School will take place on Friday Oct. 23.

“Practice is very enduring it lasts from 2-5 hours but most of the time it’s about three hours,” said senior driver Maxim Grinfeld. “We swim, do conditioning and practice our plays and techniques.”

The boys credit all their wins to their coach for always pushing them. With this kind of drive, determination and support the boys are sure they will make it to city champs and bring home the victory.

“I’m sure we will win the next game because we are very strong as a team and our coach is fantastic,” sophomore driver Robert Dracic said.

In a team sport, trust is key. The team has been taking home the win in most of their games. To keep this up, the players must stay working on their communication and trust towards each other.

“I hope we make it to city champs and actually win this time,” said sophomore driver Ryan Sokolov. “We just have to improve our communication and trust each other rather than always depending on two players but we have been winning most games and I’m confident that we can and will make it.”