• April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
  • April 20No school on Wednesday, April 24 for Armenian Genocide Observance Day
  • April 20Spring Serenade Festival on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Denim Day will be observed on Tuesday, April 23
  • April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29

Release your inner nerd in Nerdmelt at Sunset

By Chris Bower
Tech Editor:

Sunset Boulevard. It’s one of the central venues for entertainment as well as transportation in Los Angeles. Its edges brim with bars and clubs. But a comic book store?
Yes, there is indeed a comic book store on Sunset Boulevard and it’s quite large too. The sprawling expanse known as Meltdown Comics is about the size of a single family house, but there’s more here than meets the eye.
Besides just selling comics, graphic novels, gag gifts and a variety of other things, Meltdown hosts a comedy theater in the back of the store. That’s right, it’s a comic book store with comedy theater; what every nerd dreams of (along with getting a girlfriend).
“(Nerdmelt has) the greatest atmosphere of any place in Los Angeles. It is the best mix of people comics and comedy; it is certainly the best hangout that I know,” said Harrison Rich, a Nerdmelt patron.
The theater is put on by the partnership of Nerdist Industries and Meltdown and is aptly named the NerdMelt Theater. The theater itself consists of three or four rows of chairs and a small stage where the comedians preform. It is has a small, intimate feel to it.
NerdMelt runs shows just about every day, including Star Dreck, Impro(vs)Tandup, Incubator and the flagship show The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail.
Star Dreck showcases the worst Star Trek episodes while Jonah Ray and Kumail Nanjiani (the main comedians at NerdMelt) give you their own witty commentary. The commentary includes things like “I have no idea what I’m doing, this is just a dead battery,” and “Wait, you only have to press three buttons to hack into the playroom computer?” Star Dreck is shown once a month at 8 p.m., usually on the last Tuesday.
“The show makes fun of the corniest, worst ‘Star Trek’ episodes ever. With the help of Comedians Matt Mira, Kumail Nanjiani, Jonah Ray, and Moshe Kasher the show was excellent, but fair warning, it is explicit,” said Rich.
Impro(vs)Tandup is a show in which a group of improv comedians go up against a group of stand-up comedians and at the end, the audience picks the winner. Incubator is a show that showcases comedians’ new material that has never been tested before.
The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail is shown every Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. and is one of NerdMelt’s anchoring weekly shows. The description on for the Meltdown show on NerdMelt’s site is as follows:
“Our weekly popular standup show, hosted by Jonah Ray and Kumail Nanjiani, hosts the best standups in the country as well as the amazing acts you haven’t heard of quite yet but should! Plus there’s original art each week, surprise drop-ins, and sometimes a puppy!”

There are also a variety of podcasts available from both venues’ websites.
Meltdown Comics
Nerdmelt Theater

Photo from meltcomics.com. Poster of one of Nerdmelt's many comedy shows, "Star Dreck."