Girl’s golf team returns victorious from tournament

Lauryn Uhlenberg

Senior Astrid Cabrera, Coach Kevin Kelly and senior Lauryn Uhlenberg pose with their trophy after the girls golf team’s final tournament.

Tylin Jarrett

Senior Lauryn Uhlenberg, along with several other students at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS), ended the golf season with a major swing in the right direction.

“It was nice to see all of the hard work our team put into this season pay off,” Uhlenberg said. “Although we didn’t come out on top, I’m proud of the progress we made as a whole.”

The girl’s golf team finished second in the league and third at the tournament. Overall, the team’s final record was 5-3. The team practiced every Monday, Wednesday and Friday on chipping, putting and driving. Games were typically held on Thursdays.

On a typical game day, they would leave from Birmingham Community Charter High School at 2:00 p.m. and would take a bus to the El Cariso Golf Course in Sylmar. When they got to the course, they would split up into groups. Each group consisted of members from different schools and they would each play a nine-hole round of golf until about 6:30 p.m.

“Overall, it was a very successful season, considering it was my last,” senior Astrid Cabrera said.

The team gets individual scores each game and the players representing DPMHS fared rather well. Uhlenberg placed first overall and Cabrera placed fifth overall in their final tournament of the season. Uhlenberg and Cabrera have been on the team since their sophomore year.

“This being my third year, I was very proud of my accomplishments throughout the season and overjoyed with winning fifth place,” Cabrera said. “We’ve worked side by side throughout the past three years and have seen each other grow and succeed into champs.”