• December 9Last day of school is on Friday, Dec. 14

• November 29Winter show will be on Dec. 6

• November 29Winter formal will be held on Dec. 13 from 6-10 p.m.

The amusement park from hell

Back to Article
Back to Article

The amusement park from hell

At SeaWorld, orcas are treated like domestic fish in fish bowls. There have also been reports of other animals being abused.

Christine Valenzuela

Christine Valenzuela

Christine Valenzuela

Casey Wanatick

Every day, SeaWorld parks across the country have thousands of guests who come to watch the orcas, who look like they are in good shape, but are actually suffering in their undersized living conditions.

Ever since the controversial film “Blackfish”, a movie about the orcas at SeaWorld came out, there have been ongoing reports of how the animals are treated at SeaWorld. SeaWorld mistreats their animals and we are supporting it by watching the animals suffer in their lackluster homes.

The animals at SeaWorld are captured from their homes in the ocean. The captured whales are all sent straight to their new homes at SeaWorld and the injured ones are used for breeding. According to an interview National Geographic did with a former trainer, SeaWorld will not release the inbred whales because they are hybrid whales and are not suitable for the wild, so the animals are crammed into their puny tanks. There have been multiple incidents at SeaWorld where the animals are fighting each other in their cages just for more living space. The website seaworldofhurt, has reported that most of the whales and dolphins at SeaWorld have collapsed fins, a result of confined captivity and disease spreading among the cages. I called a PR rep from SeaWorld on Sept. 14 to talk about the Orca breeding program but they refused to answer my questions.

SeaWorld is not just hazardous to the animals, it’s also a hazard for the trainers who work with them daily. There have been 100 reported incidents of trainers getting injured while working with the sea creatures. Back in 2010, trainer Dawn Brancheau was killed while performing with an orca. It is also noted in seaworldofhurt’s report that most of the trainers have no education in marine biology.

SeaWorld has been breeding new animals year after year to make sure they don’t lose their money, but they finally announced that they will stop the breeding of the sea creatures and let the current generation of orcas and dolphins die out so they can act better upon the situation.

The amusement park makes millions of dollars every year because of the rare exotic animals they have to display to the public, but these poor animals aren’t for display. They deserve to be roaming free in the wild where they belong. If we keep giving SeaWorld our money by purchasing tickets, then we are supporting them in their efforts to abuse animals for publicity.

Casey Wanatick, Staff Writer

Casey Wanatick is a staff writer for The Pearl Post. It is his first year on staff. In his free time, he enjoys playing basketball, video games like NBA...

Christine Valenzuela, Copy Editor

Christine Valenzuela is a Design Editor for The Prestige Yearbook and a part-time cartoonist. She hopes to be able to incorporate creative spreads and...