• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

• October 6California Student Mock Election is Tuesday Oct. 9

• October 6PSAT for all 10th graders & some 11th graders on Oct. 10

Celebrities lack privacy due to unnecessary paparazzi involvement

Celebrities+have+no+privacy+due+to+the+bombarding+of+paparazzi+in+their+everyday+lives.+Taylor+Swift%27s+secret+relationship%2C+for+example%2C+with+Joe+Alwyn+was+revealed+after+being+spotted+by+on+their+secret+date.+
Celebrities have no privacy due to the bombarding of paparazzi in their everyday lives. Taylor Swift's secret relationship, for example, with Joe Alwyn was revealed after being spotted by on their secret date.

Christine Valenzuela

Christine Valenzuela

Angel Van Horn

As famous as they are, celebrities are the number one collection of people who deserve privacy just like anybody else.

Their privacy has been invaded for as long as T.V and movie stars were considered important. The paparazzi is the reason why celebrities lack the privacy they deserve, like every other person. Celebrities like Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and Kim Kardashian have been some of the main targets for the sake of their rising fame.

In 2017, Swift’s private relationship with boyfriend Joe Alwyn was revealed by paparazzi.  A stalker-like photo taken by the media of Swift and her boyfriend was revealed to the public when the couple was spotted in a hotel room in Swift’s hometown, Nashville. Swift was clearly keeping her relationship a secret to avoid the gossip that would arise on social media. Of course, her secret romance was revealed by the press to stir up trouble.

Freedom of press is applicable to the paparazzi in cases like this, however they should be considerate enough to respect the boundaries celebrities set. Yet if a celebrity says no to pictures or questions, the paparazzi will purposely put themselves in harms way to cover their every move. Celebrities also get violent sometimes because of this, which should warn paparazzi to keep their distance.

Being famous doesn’t mean you choose to have your privacy revoked; it doesn’t mean you are obligated to have your life publicized and it doesn’t mean your life is also the lives of thousands of fans. After being pushed past his limit in 2014, Bieber threw punches at the paparazzi in Paris after they had been after him for pictures with model Kendall Jenner during their dinner date. Bieber has had rough encounters with the paparazzi several times before, including a 2013 brawl where Bieber tackled a paparazzi.

It is obvious how annoying the paparazzi can get just by looking at celebrities faces while being asked random questions when they’re on their way to do normal tasks, like grabbing a sandwich. Paparazzi will pry and bug until the celebrity reaches the point where they feel the only way to stop the questions is by using force.

Privacy is a right that all people deserve no matter their social status. It‘s a worldwide necessity that any human would expect. The paparazzi does not understand that not all celebrities are open books and would rather not have their lives exploited. Whether or not they decide to share their business is their decision, not the paparazzi’s.

Angel Van Horn, Opinion Editor

Angel Van Horn is a photographer and staff writer for The Pearl Post. This will be her first year on staff. Angel has been interested in writing for the school newspaper since her freshmen year when she found out about it. Angel enjoys taking artsy pictures and writing fiction in her free time. Her favorite book is “Eleanor and Park” and her favorite movie is “Monticarlo.” Angel hopes to improve her photo taking skills and writing skills.

Christine Valenzuela, Copy Editor
Christine Valenzuela is a Design Editor for The Prestige Yearbook and a part-time cartoonist. She hopes to be able to incorporate creative spreads and make interesting memories with her fellow yearbook staff. Christine is currently a senior at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School and on the tennis team for Birmingham Community Charter High School. Christine...