• January 5The UTLA teacher's strike is postponed to Jan. 14

• December 9Last day of school is on Friday, Dec. 14

• November 29Winter show will be on Dec. 6

Editorial: Women’s March trumps inequality

Over+500%2C000+people+showed+up+to+the+Women%27s+March+in+Downtown+Los+Angeles+held+on+Jan.+20.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Over 500,000 people showed up to the Women's March in Downtown Los Angeles held on Jan. 20.

Eva Kaganovsky

Eva Kaganovsky

Eva Kaganovsky

Amidst the recent scandals piling up in society from sexual harassment to racism and political viewpoints, it’s the actions taken that matter most.

With the Women’s March just happening last month a sense of progress is made. This was the second year in a row where the march took place, uniting millions of  protesters to peacefully spread a message. However, more needs to be done to bring unity to this country. With the government stocked with officials who don’t care for others’ rights but their own, the public must stand strong and advocate for change.

It’s people such as the Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos who bring ideas to silence voices. DeVos had previously pondered over changing Title IX, a federal law to prohibit discrimination and harassment in schools. Changing this title would’ve made it more difficult for victims to come forward and find justice.

The Women’s March challenges this type of ideal as everyone should be able to share their story and not have to live in silence. Movements like #metoo and Time’s Up help restore faith to victims who may feel as if the justice system does not do enough to punish their abusers. They provide an outlet to raise awareness of sexual harassment and to help those who have endured it.

However, this isn’t all the march stands for. It advocates for gender rights, reproductive freedom, the end of police brutality and overall equality for everyone. Especially living in a ‘Trump Era’ those who are seen as outsiders such as transgenders, immigrants and African Americans are often targeted and discriminated against. They are excluded from the public and treated as if they aren’t human beings. This can obviously be seen as police brutality numbers rise within the African American community. As well as immigrants who have lived here for years be ripped apart from their families, due to the fact they came from another country. Even the transgender community faces constant discrimination and barely any legal protection after only 18 states provide laws to protect them.

Luckily under LAUSD, schools like ours are provided with tools to help speak up against discrimination and report sexual harassment fairly easily. These include written reports and a hotline provided through JupiterEd where students can send direct reports anonymously. Gender Neutral bathrooms within our school help create acceptance for everyone in our student body too. These tools within our open-minded school environment create a safe space for students to learn and express themselves.

Marches like these are not meant to advocate for a day but to create a ripple effect within society and symbolize the change that is yet to come. A change where everyone can be respected no matter what. The march is not only for women but society as a whole.