• May 24Field Trip to Dodgers Stadium from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday, June 1
  • May 24Student picnic at 6:30 p.m. and Movie Night at 8 p.m. on Friday, May 31
  • May 24Senior Dinner at 5:30 p.m. and Awards Ceremony at 7:00 p.m. in the MPR on Thursday, May 30
  • May 24LAUSD Food Truck Event during lunch on Thursday, May 30
  • May 24Spirit Week from Tuesday, May 28 to Friday, May 31
  • May 17No school on Monday, May 27 for Memorial Day

Recent thefts on campus spark new security measures

Photo by Yuliya Kipnis. A school police officer interviews sophomore Draven Medina about his stolen skateboard in January.

By Elitza Batchiyska.

While school is meant to be a safe environment for students, often students will begin to feel too comfortable on campus.

Ever since the spring semester began, this issue has become more evident than ever, with numerous thefts taking place on campus over the past month.

While the culprits are still unknown and the belongings unfound, students are not the only victims- teachers and staff have also been affected.

Since mid-January, five skateboards have been stolen, the student store was raided after hours, a student’s purse was invaded and music teacher Jackie Gorski’s iPod was stolen.

“I felt disappointed and violated and a little creeped out,” Gorski said.

In the staff’s attempt to prevent future crimes, new security precautions are being taken and planned.

School administration plans on implementing skateboard lock towers, where students can secure their skateboards at the beginning of the school day and acquire them again after school.

The student store has also been restructured in a manner that will prevent snacks from being stolen.

Before, students were able to walk into the student store, pick out their items and head over to the checkout counter, or for some, sneak them into their backpacks and pockets.

Now, students will have to ask for their snacks and have them handed over by student store helpers and employees.

Nevertheless, thefts can go both ways, either due to the irresponsibility of the victim or the lack of discipline of the thief.

“People need to be diligent of their own things,” said Office Administrator Diane Seiger.

If students have witnessed anything suspicious on campus or have been affected by thieves, they can contact the school’s We Tip hot line at [email protected].

The hot line has been well-utilized over the past month, as students have been effectively reporting issues, such as bullying and thefts, that have all been resolved.

“It would be nice if our school was a place where all students respected each other’s belongings, but you can’t expect that,” Principal Deborah Smith said.