Why do we celebrate Black History Month?

Ciara Brown and Patrick Ewing

One of the many reasons we celebrate Black History Month is to honor the legacy that African Americans left behind and to integrate the nation’s moral obligations and change societal norms. This month celebrates the many accomplishments and struggles African Americans went through to be liberated from the inequality they faced due to their race.

Black history month is celebrated annually worldwide. The United States and Canada celebrate Black History month in February, and The United Kingdom celebrates in October.

Students at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School are impacted by Black History Month because of the events like Brown vs. the Board of Education. An African American father fought the United States Supreme Court to reverse the policy of racial segregation in schools.  Because of this, our school is able have diversity of many different ethnicities.

“It’s a month where we celebrate the leaders that fought for our rights” said senior Eric Rodea.

Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, like many other schools nationwide, created an African American Alliance (AAA). It was an environment for all students of different ethnic backgrounds to come together and study African American cultures and past civil rights leaders of the past and present.  The AAA club taught its members how they can contribute to becoming future leaders of today’s society.

Carter G. Woodson, and educator and historian campaigned for a Negro History Week in 1925. This week was established to honor the importance of contributions and achievements made by blacks in the United States. The time for Negro History Week was chosen because both Fredrick Douglass’ and Abraham Lincoln’s birthdays were around the same time. Negro week turned into Black History Week in 1976, then later Black History Month.

On Jan. 21 2013, the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States of America, Barack Obama took place. This second inauguration of the first black President demonstrates the reason America stops and acknowledges black history month.  Activist who changed the world such as, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and athletes like Jesse Owens and Jacky Robinson were all inspirations to not just blacks, but all ethnicities to pursue their dreams and goals.

While Barack Obama was campaigning for his second term as President, a popular saying swept the nation. “Martin walked so that Obama could run.”