Carlos' Collection: Ne-yo is “new-o” in the studio with R.E.D.

By CARLOS GODOY Sports Editor:

R&B/Soul artist Ne-yo posing for his 2008 nomination for “Gentleman of the Year.”

Ne-Yo talks about his experiences weakness, mistakes and flaws in his fifth studio album “R.E.D.” The album packs a variety of animated styles as opposed to his usual genre of R&B/Soul.

The first track of the album, “Cracks in Mr. Perfect,” says a lot about him. His tone is honest, it speaks out, shows his feelings. He describes how he became “more of an idiot with every extra million I get.”

The song that follows is the last of the album, found in the Deluxe Edition, but has been heard by many. “Let’s Go” done alongside Calvin Harris, is very rhythmic and upbeat, which is completely different from the one mentioned before. It’s more of a electro dance-pop, great for the modern movement of music.

Ne-Yo does take a twist on his style when working with Tim McGraw on “She Is.” Once again, a descent to slower paced songs, but full of thought. It’s odd however, because out of the whole album, this is the only country-influenced song. Nonetheless, it’s variety that keeps the album running.

“Miss Right,” has more soul and more rhythm but it’s not up to qualifications for a dance song. Its slow movement complements the lustful lyrics of the song.

The next couple of songs pump up the album. Beats are important especially along a superior rap. That’s what goes on in “Don’t Make ‘Em Like You” featuring Wiz Khalifa. The rap to a song always brings out the same message portrayed in the song itself. Khalifa is able to do that with descriptive words and usage of imagery to describe the woman that (“they don’t make ‘em like her no more”).

“Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself),” is a fast-paced song, with more beats. It can stand on its own, as it became a single in early July 2012. Reaching the end of the song there is a quick pause which adds a time for the song to breathe and return to its place.