• April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

Hate crime in boys’ bathroom

By KEVIN PICHINTE.

Due to a recent hate crime in the boys’ restroom, boys must walk up to the front office, ask for the bathroom key and fill out a sign up sheet.

The Gays and Lesbians Initiating a Dialogue for Equality (GLIDE) Organization, an awareness group for LGBT bullying, came to Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) on Nov. 15 to talk to students in the Multi-Purpose Room (MPR).

However, on that day, a student vandalized the boy’s restroom by writing hateful phrases thought to target the LGBT group at DPMHS.

“The student wrote around the window sill,” said Principal Deborah Smith. “They wrote hateful things…such as ‘DPMHS is gay’ and ‘We are going to bomb the school over the weekend.’”

Even school police got involved in the situation, as the phrases were considered threats to the school.

The school police filed a report and took photos of where the student vandalized the restroom. Thus far, no student has confessed to the crime.

“The only reason we found out was because a student came and told us that, prior to lunch, he went to the restroom and there was no tagging, but after lunch there was writing,” Smith said.