Welcome new magnet coordinator

Kevin Pichinte

Photo by Dion Mazor Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s new magnet coordinator, Noreen Castellani, is finally getting used to her position. She enjoys walking around during lunch and nutrition and talking to the students so that she can get to know everyone.

From teaching American History to becoming dean and now a magnet coordinator at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS), Noreen Castellani is adjusting to the campus and the way things are run at DPMHS.

“I really wanted this position badly and was really excited when Ms. Smith gave the position as magnet coordinator to me,” Castellani said.

Castellani was picked out of twenty-two  other individuals that applied for the position. After Principal Deborah Smith filtered the applicants, only nine actually interviewed for the spot.

“One thing that really made Castellani stand out from the rest of the applicants was her passion and beside being an educator, she made an organization to help people and she taught her dog to help rescue people so she has many qualities and she knows how to publicize and we need that for our school,” Smith said.

Smith told Castellani that she had received the position as magnet coordinator and Castellani was overwhelmed with joy and excitement.

Before coming to DPMHS, Castellani taught at Vintage Magnet Elementary School and Frost Middle School. Castellani taught American history and was a dean but she wasn’t so satisfied with just impacting a small range of kids. She wanted more, so a decision was made to apply for a position at DPMHS.

“I’ve been in education for 15 years and wanted to affect a larger amount of students, not just students in a classroom,” Castellani said.

Castellani will be able to offer the school complete federal regulations, counseling for parents, discipline students and help planning events.

Castellani is still getting used to DPMHS. She likes it very much and feels satisfied with her position. She favors the vibe of the school and how helpful the students and faculty are.

“Everyone is great and helpful the energy is positive and I like that the setting of the school is small but I’m still learning my way around the school,” Castellani said.

Castellani was born and raised in Los Angles. As a teenager, she went to Beverly Hills High School. For college, she attended University of California, Los Angeles where she got her bachelor’s degree; she received her master’s degree from California State University of Northridge.

Besides school and being a magnet coordinator, Castellani also enjoys being around friends and family. She loves to go to parties and barbeques. She also has a passion for literature and benefiting others.

Castellani likes helping people in any way that she possibly can. She founded a nonprofit organization called “Frontline,” which helps feed the poor.

“I also love to help my foundation not just stand on the sideline and watch others do the work.,” Castellani said.

She also has a dog names Jessie, but she is no ordinary dog. She is a scent dog and Castellani trains Jessie for search and rescue.

“I go on hikes to mountains to train Jessie for search and rescue missions,” Castellani said.