Sophomore Katilyn Arst presents project to Mayor Garcetti

Nely Correa, Staff Writer

Katilyn Arst won many awardsfor her work in variousscience fairsbut this is her greatest feat yet
Sangeeta Arst
Katilyn Arst won many awards for her work in various science fairs but this is her greatest feat yet

Sophomore Kaitlyn Arst was selected to present her 2015 Science Fair Project at the First U.S. China Climate Leaders Summit.

Arst began participating in science fairs at Magnolia Science Academy. In Magnolia, she competed with nine other middle schools and won first place. Arst later chose to continue on her own.

Arst’s project focused on how to prevent soil erosion. After a month of working in her backyard. She was able to demonstrate environmentally friendly biopolymer starch solutions to prevent soil erosion and promote plant growth.

“There are many problems in the environment, so I wanted to do something about it,” Arst said.

Arst competed last year at the L.A. County Fair and won first place, making her way to the California State Fair where she won first place.

Arst was quickly contacted by Jennifer Moses, President of the Los Angeles County Science Fair to present her project to the dignitaries around the world at the Summit hosted by Mayor Eric Garcetti.

“I think it’s awesome that a student from Daniel Pearl was able to represent our school in such a positive way at such a big event ,” English teacher Leah Pevar said.

The Summit is an opportunity for U.S. and Chinese sub national leaders to speak about climate action before the United Nation climate conference which will be held in Dec. Its main focus is on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and fight global climate change.

Arst was one out of the nine students chosen by the mayor’s office. She also won first place in her category for senior solo website on Indira Gandhi last March for the National History Day Competition. She will be competing in this year’s NHD competition.

“I’m very proud of her, it’s wonderful, maybe she’ll grow up to be a famous scientist one day,” Principal Deb Smith said.