Club Corner: Creating chess champs

Liliya Miroshnychenko

Senior Tyler Loring intently watches sophomore David Mallari make his next move during a Chess Club meeting.

Alyssa Cancio

Students of all grades gather in room seven, where they indulge in the company of friends and friendly battles of chess.

“We’re actually unofficial,” club supervisor Jennifer Pershes said. “We’re a small club, no funds, just a gathering.”

Although meager in comparison to other clubs hosted in the school, the chess club possesses an air of lighthearted competition and humble intellect. The room is sparsely filled, with two or three sets of chess boards distributed. The sounds of crinkling plastic as kids eat their lunch and chatter among friends are strung through the room. There is no fighting or arguing here. Everyone is enjoying the pastime.

“Not a lot of people like chess,” senior Adi Nagary said. “But chess is a very smart sport. You have to strategize. It’s a way to have fun intellectually – after all, school is about learning.”

The club began when Magnet Coordinator Nicole Bootel noticed an excess of unused chess board games lying around. Some of the sets were even donated. Bootel suggested Pershes start a club in order to gather students who would use the games.  

“We’ll definitely see a chess club happen next year,” Nagary said. “It’s popular enough. Maybe a new student will continue it.”

The chess club meets every Monday during lunch. It’s a shame such a club doesn’t have many members, as it shows immense potential. If you’re looking for new acquaintances or perhaps some tranquility among the chaos of the crowd, then chess club is for you. You’ll be greeted by welcoming members and a cheerful supervisor.