Club Corner: Bible Club reopens, brings faith to campus

Daniela Guzman

After its first absence since the beginnings of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, the Truth Be Told (TBT) Club has finally returned to campus.

In previous years, the position of the president of the Christian-based TBT Club was usually passed on from a graduating senior to an incoming one.

“Because the club is student led, no one picked it up last semester, so no one could continue it and I could not hold it in my classroom,” club sponsor Spanish teacher Glenda Hurtado said.

Juniors Ruzanna Manvelyan and Francheska Vicents remembered that the club existed when they were freshmen and spoke with Hurtado about bringing it back.

“We thought it would be a good place for people who are interested in Christianity to come and learn more about it,” Manvelyan said.

Bible-based topics are covered during their meetings by Los Angeles Church of Christ Youth Minister Gary Smith. Smith speaks passionately to the members about stories in the Bible and what lessons can be derived from them, along with reading scripture.

“I found it interesting how we talked about Jesus as an actual person and that there is proof of it,” Vicents said.

For returning members and new ones, the TBT club is a returned opportunity for students who wish to practice their faith while at school.

“What draws me to the club is the fact that I am very religious and also the fact that I have never been to a school with a Bible club before,” sophomore John Sendin said.

The TBT club is currently hosted by sophomore Garrett Francisco. Meetings are held every other Wednesday during lunch in Room 4.