Maroon 5 back in the studio

By Carlos Godoy
Sports Editor:

Maroon 5 is back different than ever with their new album “Overexposed”, this time introducing a new mixture of styles and rhythms.

Over the course of early 2012, when the album had not debuted, the song “Payphone” featuring Wiz Khalifa, became very popular. As a result it became a single. For Maroon 5, it’s new they have rap in their songs, since their style has mostly focused on rock and neo-soul.

You can visit Maroon 5’s website to check out the album and if you have Spotify, it will link directly to be able to listen to the whole song.

One of the very popular songs of the album currently is “One More Night.” This track actually stands out from the rest because of its reggae infused groove. It’s a good step for them, a different direction they’re taking with their creations.

“Sabali, Sabali, Sabali, yonkontê” starts off the creative song, “Wipe Your Eyes.” The meaning of this phrase is, “Patience, patience is worth everything” in the African country Mali, whose language in Bambara.

Aside from the meaning and the emotion in the song, the other powerful sides are the bass guitar and the drums. They give great emphasis on the song itself, making it a rock interpretation of R&B.

Another track on the album that seemed different to Maroon 5’s style but within the same lines of the album is “The Man Who Never Lied.” The title is catchy because everyone knows there’s not someone who’s never lied. The lyrics might not be the happiest but the beat and the music sure is uplifting.

The last track of the album, available in the deluxe version only, is actually an oldie originally composed by Al Green, “Let’s Stay Together.”

Maroon 5’s approach on this song was good and very talented. The voice of lead singer, Adam Levine, is well fit to Al Green’s way of singing it. In fact, there really are no changes to the cover of the song.

What’s truly amazing is that artists in the new decade are bringing back old songs that were popular and still are. It shows that an artist isn’t ‘too good’ to appreciate and render a classic, while maintaining the credits from the original composers.