Birmingham girls varsity soccer struggles to defeat league opponents

From left to right , sophomore Hailey Pohevitz  and junior Alex Pineda are working diligently  to improve  for their 2014 winter season that started on Jan. 15.  Photo from Angelo Marmol
Sophomore Hailey Pohevitz and junior Alex Pineda are working diligently to improve for their 2014 winter season that started on Jan. 15. Photo by Angelo Marmol

By IRENE FEHER

After an excellent preseason, girls varsity soccer season is off to a slow start.

“Based on preseason games, I believe we can get very far this year,” varsity player Alexandra Pineda said.

Pineda scored the last goal in the preseason game against Kennedy High School which ended 9-0.  On  Dec. 2, the game against San Pedro High School was 1-0  and on Dec. 9,  the girls won 4-2 against San Fernando High School .

Birmingham Community Charter High School’s (BCCHS) girls varsity soccer team started their season on Jan. 15.  Since then the girls haven’t been able to produce the same results.

“We’ve played three season games and haven’t won any,” varsity soccer player Hailey Pohevitz said. “Overall, the team isn’t playing as well as I thought we would’ve.”

BCCHS’s toughest  league opponents are Granada Hills Charter High School, El Camino Real Charter High School and Cleveland High School.  Pineda and Pohevitz feel that they need to prepare for their opponents and improve their game if they want to win.

Both girls have ideas that will help them improve their game.  Pineda needs to stay focused during practice and work on improving her stamina.

“I have to make sure I eat breakfast every morning and stay focused during practices,” Pineda said. “I can improve my stamina, so I won’t get tired and improving on crossing the ball better.”

Pohevitz has a different goal in mind. She needs to focus more on her mental game.

“I have to not get so frustrated during games and focus more on my play,” Pohevitz said. “I’m trying to deal with my frustration and my mental game.”

The girl’s varsity soccer team also needs to work on their weakness: lack of communication on the field. But the team has strengths which include passing the ball effectively and having strong mid fielders.

“In order to improve communication between the team members, we need more chemistry and a better team bond,” Pineda said.