• April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29
  • April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

Year In Review: Top 5 Sports Moments of 2013

By ALEXANDRA PINEDA

As the year comes to a close so do most sports teams as they take a break until the following year. It’s time to look back on a year of sports. So here it is 2013:

1. David Ortiz’s Grand Slam:

In game 2 of the American League Championship Series, David Ortiz, of the Boston Red Sox, hit a game-tying Grand Slam. The Red Sox were in danger of falling 2-0 to the Detroit Tigers at home. Ortiz’s Grand Slam was said to be the season changer considering the fact that the Red Sox went on to win the game, the ALC series against the Tigers and, most importantly, the World Series.

2. Brazil win over Spain in Confederations Cup Final:

In the summer of 2013, the 20134 World Cup host Brazil hosted the Confederations Cup. As Brazil and Spain entered the final on Jun.  30, it was expected that Spain would take the win. They were, of course, the 2010 World Cup winners and had not lost the past 29 matches, which meant they have not lost in the past three years. Early into the match, about 90 seconds in, Brazil’s Fred (Frederico Chaves Guedes) scored the first goal. Spain would go on to lose the final 3-0. Brazil left with their third consecutive Confederations Cup win and a lasting impact leading into 2014’s World Cup.

3. Ray Allen’s Game 6 three -point buzzer beater:

In game 6 of the NBA Finals, The Miami Heat were trailing the series 3-2. Game 6 looked to be a win for the San Antonio Spurs. With 20 seconds left on the clock the Spurs were leading 95-92. As Lebron James took a three pointer without their best rebounder, Tim Duncan, the Spurs lost a rebound to Chris Bosh. Bosh then passed the ball out to Ray Allen who took a step back behind the three point line; he stood and took the shot tying the game at 95 with only 5.2 seconds left. The Heat went on to win game 6 while tying the series 3-3. After that, the Miami Heat returned back home to win game 7, which would be their second consecutive championship.

4. Diana Nyad’s Swim to Florida:

Diana Nyad had made four attempts to swim from La Habana, Cuba to Florida. Three of which were made after the age of 60. On her fifth attempt, Nyad decided that this would be her final try. She jumped into the Atlantic from La Habana and made a 53 hour journey to reach Key West, Florida. Her journey was intense as she suffered from nausea and fatigue. On several interviews after her success story, she said the quote she would use as her mantra, “Find a way.”

5. The Black Mamba’s Return:

On Dec. 8, Kobe Bryant returned to the floor at Staples Center against the Toronto Raptors. There was hype all week long since this would be the first game that Bryant would appear on the court since he tore his Achilles tendon back in the spring of the first round of Western Conference Playoffs. The Mamba was shaky and uneasy, his flow was off and he wasn’t as perfect as he was once considered. He closed the game with nine points, eight turnovers and 27 minutes.