• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove

LAUSD takes back iPads due to inappropriate use

By ENRIE AMEZCUA:

Weeks after the Los Angeles Unified  School District (LAUSD) rolled out the newly purchased tablets for educational use, reports of issues and hacking of the security program have caused them to rethink their decision.

“Something tends to happen when we have the knowledge that something isn’t ours, we tend to treat it with less care than if it were our own personal object,” senior Victoria Cook said.

Students were found bypassing the security system and downloading unauthorized sites such as Facebook and YouTube. Students were also found selling their services to delete the security system for other students who wanted to access these sites. Some of the iPads have just gone missing.

Superintendent John Deasy originally opened this proposal to the committee in November, which later received criticism such as diverting the funds to the cuts in school over the year.

The committee later approved this program on Feb. 12 in an effort to lessen textbook and school material replacement. The idea of giving the students of LAUSD tablets is part of a now 1 billion program that is funded by construction bonds approved by voters.

Some students such as Cook and freshman Elieja Aurea Legaspi  already have experience with a tablet that they used. Cook currently uses her own tablet for her multimedia class with Mark Middlebrook. Legaspi found it useful to use an iPad in her middle school at St. Bridget of Sweden Catholic Church.

“When there’s a project, we get to use them during class and we get to research on like things were doing,” Legaspi said.

As early as June, iPads were distributed to schools mainly in the South Bay and Central Los Angeles area as well as some schools in other locations.

“If we were able to have an opportunity to have them here I think that our students will be respectful and I think would handle it just fine,” Principal Deb Smith said.