• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.

BCCHS water polo team heads to play offs after a splashing season

Sophomore Max Grinfield holds the ball ready for the perfect pass during practice at BCCHS preparing for playoffs .   Photo by Haley Pohibtz
Sophomore Max Grinfield holds the ball ready for the perfect pass during practice at BCCHS preparing for playoffs . Photo by Hailey Pohibtz

By Dianne Villalta:

October marks the end of the boy’s varsity water polo season but with season ending, playoffs are in the minds of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School water polo athletes.

“At the beginning our passing wasn’t that good and it cost us,” varsity player Anthony Dracic said. “We’ve been practicing and we’ll be ready for the playoffs. We have good chemistry.”

On Oct. 11, the team lost 21-7 against Crespi High School but won against Granada Hills  Charter High School 10-7 four days later.

“We’re doing a lot better now than we were before. My coach was really trying to get us to play more aggressive,” varsity player Maxim Grinfeld said.

Birmingham’s water polo team has been practicing hard and winning most of their games.  Throughout the season the water polo team went 19-7 though both Dracic and Grinfeld still feel that they need improvement as players.

“I think we improved but I think I need to work on being faster ‘cause I can get more counter opportunities for myself,” Grinfeld said.

Before the season ends they had three games that would determine whether or not they made it to the play offs.

On Oct. 16,  they won 10-7 against Cleveland High and on Oct. 23 they won home conference game against El Camino with a score of 13-10 securing a spot in playoffs. This will be their first time going to the water polo playoffs.

“If we really play our game we will make it. That’s where we will face our rivals, Palisades,” Dracic said.