Joyful films to watch during winter break

With winter break approaching, here are some movies to watch with friends or family coming to theaters and streaming in December.

“Diary of a Wimpy Kid Christmas: Cabin Fever” will be streaming on Disney Plus on Dec. 8. (Disney Film Studios)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Christmas: Cabin Fever

“Diary of a Wimpy Kid Christmas: Cabin Fever” is an animated film based on the sixth book in the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” series by Jeff Kinney. It is a Christmas comedy film and will be streaming on Disney Plus on Dec. 8. The movie is about the main character Greg Helffley, voiced by Wesley Kimmel, and his winter vacation. Greg’s winter break goals don’t go according to plan after damaging a snow plow with his best friend Rowley Jefferson. Greg worries that he will not be able to get a new gaming console after the incident. To worsen the situation, Greg gets snowed in with his family including his two brothers, Rodrick and Manny. This movie is rated PG for mild rude humor.

“The Boy and the Heron,” directed and written by Hayao Miyazaki, premieres on Dec. 8. (Studio Ghibli)

The Boy and the Heron

The animated film “The Boy and the Heron,”  directed and written by Hayao Miyazaki, will premiere on Dec. 8. The movie follows a 12-year-old boy named Mahito, voiced by Luca Padovan, who moves to a new town and struggles to cope after the death of his mother. Mahito ventures into a world of the living and the dead after a talking Heron tells him that his mother is still alive. He discovers that in this world, death comes to an end and life finds a new beginning. The movie explores themes of life, death and creation. The movie is rated PG-13 for some violent content and smoking.

Wonka

“Wonka” will be available in movie theaters on Dec. 15. (Warner Bros. Films)

The movie “Wonka,” which hits movie theaters on Dec. 15, stars Timothée Chalamet as Willy Wonka and is an adaptation of the “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” novel. This movie will differ from the previous two “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” movies since it will not follow the original story, but focus on a young Willy Wonka before the creation of his chocolate factory. It describes the events that led to him becoming a famous chocolatier and inventor. It focuses on how he met the first Oompa-Loompa, played by Hugh Grant, and his earlier ventures. “Wonka” will feature multiple musical numbers. This movie is rated PG for mild language and thematic elements.

“Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” premieres on Dec. 22. (Warner Bros. Films)

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

The movie “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” premieres on Dec. 22 and stars Jason Momoa. It is a sequel to “Aquaman” and continues the story of the first film. Aquaman is forced to form an alliance with his brother Orm, played by Patrick Wilson, after Black Mant, played by Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, uses the power of the mythic Black Trident to unleash its ancient power that could potentially cause mass destruction. “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” is rated PG-13 for language and sci-fi violence.