Club Corner: K-pop Club creates inclusive, welcome space for fans

Jasmine McNair
K-pop Club President Emma Bullock and senior Desiree Spurkel dance to “The Feels” by Twice during a lunch meeting on Nov. 27.

Freshman Emma Bullock and her friends created a club dedicated to creating a friendly environment for people who shared similar interests in a specific genre of music: K-pop.

“I wanted it to be a safe space because a lot of the time you end up getting bullied because of your music choices and I had to go through a lot of that in middle school,” President Bullock said. 

The K-pop Club was formed by Bullock earlier this year with the help of freshmen Tania Lopez and Valerie Sanchez. During club meetings, members often dance or do relays where each person lines up and dances a couple of lines from a song before returning to the end of the line. The club also holds discussions about their favorite songs and artists or the current events happening in the K-pop industry. 

“Sometimes the music is hated on but my friend group likes K-pop so we just wanted to make a safe environment for all the other ones who like it too,” Secretary Sanchez said.

The club strongly believes in creating a community that is inclusive and helps others learn about their interests and why they enjoy it. They found it important to bring people who share the same passion for this genre of music together and have an open space for those who might feel judged. 

The K-pop Club meets in Room 15 every Monday during lunch. All students are invited to eat their lunch and participate in different activities arranged by club officers for each meeting.

“I think it’s just creating a place where people that like K-pop or want to learn about K-pop can come and have fun and meet like-minded people,” said English teacher Francesca Gunther, who is the club’s sponsor. “I think it’s important to experience music from different cultures and different backgrounds to create a sense of community around art like music.”