• April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

CARLOS’ COLLECTION: Bublé struggles with originality

Photo from michaelbuble.com. Singer Michael Buble preforms on NBC during a Christmas special.

By CARLOS GODOY:

The genre of pop has taken over in the past couple of months and being original is becoming increasingly difficult. This sounds like something Michael Bublé is struggling with in his classy but unoriginal album “To Be Loved.”

Yes, it’s probably a high aim to make a medley of songs sung by other artists from the last 50 years, but as listeners you’d expect something else.,

In his new album, there are only three original compositions. What happened to being unoriginal? Three songs seems too small of a number, out of 14 in the album, to make it completely original.

This doesn’t mean the album is horrible, or that it shouldn’t be bought. It’s just a little deceiving knowing that Bublé, a young and very talented man, can’t pull it off. He actually has what it takes to make the next, all-original, Sinatra-sounding album which resembles his true potential.

On that note, one of the songs on the album, “Come Dance With Me,” written by Frank Sinatra, has a catchy bossa nova style to it. There are differences from the original track, since Sinatra’s version is more jazzy. Nevertheless, both are well made.

The one thing that Bublé did very well, was use his style and combine it with the original style of the song to give it a modern-class sound.

This next song may be one to turn your opinion the other way around. It may be that many of us don’t appreciate what we have because it is at our instant reach, but how about those who don’t? That’s the idea Bublé portrays in his touching song “I Got It Easy” by comparing and contrasting the lives of different individuals.

Just as every album, there was a single prior to this album. It’s name “It’s a Beautiful Day”  hit, and remained at, No. 9 on Billboard’s US Adult Contemporary category. The song is very upbeat and fun to listen to, as much as the music video is interesting to watch.

Whether compelled to buy it or not, it’s available on  iTunes.