Class of 2021 will graduate in-person after uncertain year

June 10, 2021

After a school year filled with uncertainty, seniors will get to enjoy an in-person graduation ceremony on June 11. 

“It’s a wonderful piece of news,” Daniel Pearl Magnet High School Principal Armen Petrossian said.  

Although last school year’s graduating class did not get an in-person ceremony, this year’s seniors will get a taste of normalcy at 5 p.m on June 11 at Mulholland Middle School when they graduate in front of their family members and classmates. Throughout the 2020-2021 school year, no word was given about ceremony plans until May, leaving many seniors anxiously waiting for any official announcements.  Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, safety precautions will still be implemented. 

“A part that I’m really looking forward to is seeing all of my old friends and just seeing other people in general and obviously crossing the stage and being done with high school,” senior Emily Rodas said.  

Many seniors are willing to practice social distancing and wear masks so they can attend an event that they have looked forward to their whole lives. Guests are limited to two per graduate, while other family members can watch the graduation ceremony on a live Zoom meeting. Here is the link for the graduation. Upon arrival, guests will have their temperature checked and hand sanitizer will be readily available during the event.  A negative COVID-19 test will be required for students but not for guests.  

“It’s always better to graduate or be somewhere in person than on Zoom,” senior Jovanny Dominguez said. 

Included in the agenda for this most special event is a brief motivational speech by Judea Pearl, father of the Wall Street Journal journalist Daniel Pearl who was killed in 2002. Valedictorian Alliana Samonte, who is also The Pearl Post managing editor, will deliver a speech as well.

There will also be a performance by music teacher Wes Hambright’s music students. 

“I’m very proud of our graduates.  We have an amazing senior class,” Petrossian said.