Senior athletes reflect on their journey in high school sports

Due to distance learning, the students haven’t been able to play this school year.

Jimmy Su

Senior Cassia Ramelb jumps over a hurdle during a track meet. Ramelb has been running track for BCCHS during all four years of high school.

Emily Flores

Although she hasn’t been able to compete during her senior season so far, track and field runner Cassia Ramelb achieved some memorable achievements: She’s competed in the United States America Track and Field Nationals, participated twice in the CIF State Meet and was ranked in League Champion multiple times.

“Track was customary for me since I have been running for almost 10 years,” Ramelb said. “I loved the relationships I formed with teammates and coaches, as well as the connections and opportunities I got.”

Since their freshman year, the senior athletes worked hard to get on the varsity team and hope to play in the CIF finals, CIF championships, and more. With their senior year in athletics delayed due to the pandemic, we’ve asked them to reflect on some of the highlights of their years playing high school sports.

It may not be much, but starting as a junior varsity bench player, I successfully became the varsity water polo team captain and won awards like the year’s defensive player and eighth man of the year,” varsity water polo player CJ Gorospe said. 

Senior Anthony Martinez is a varsity soccer player who was successfully able to train with a professional team. He is also planning to play in the Major League Soccer (MLS). 

“One of my most successful moments as a goalkeeper was training with a semi-professional team called LA10, which was managed by one of the greatest soccer players who ever lived,” Martinez said. 

This year, senior athletes such as Amelia Sanchez were hoping to have fun during her final high school year. Then the COVID-19 pandemic hit and affected Sanchez and any other senior athlete to play a sport in their last year. 

“Honestly, I hope to have fun, with everything with coronavirus ruining our year,” Sanchez said. “I want to have a good time with my friends and the team.”

Luckily, the senior athletes get one more chance to play in their final season as they will be able to return to practice starting on March 4. 

The senior athletes have also formed friendships and created memories that will last a lifetime. They love to engage in activities, laugh, practice and have a positive impact on their team. Senior CJ Gorospe loves having good laughs and creating an awesome connection with his team. 

“My favorite memory of playing sports for me was when my water polo team and I went to a Denny’s after a tournament and were just laughing and crying, because of the chlorine in our eyes, for a good hour straight before we even got our food,” Gorospe said.