Social sciences teacher Mauermann decides to leave DPMHS

One of DPMHSs founding teachers, Davy Mauermann  has decided to transfer to a school closer to her home.

Prestige Yearbook

One of DPMHS’s founding teachers, Davy Mauermann has decided to transfer to a school closer to her home.

Evan Gleason

A valued part of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, social sciences teacher Davy Mauermann has decided to transfer to a school closer to home. She has been working at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School since 2006.

“I have a really long commute. It takes me an hour to get to work,” Mauermann said. “I have two little kids at home. I talked to Ms. Smith and she recommended places closer to home, and there were.”

Mauermann loved working at DPMHS , and if it weren’t for her two young children, she would have loved to stay and work here. But she will still have some exciting memories, like when she got to take photos of Principal Deb Smith eating the crickets during a recent Fiesta Friday.  Mauermann organized National History Day. One of her students, a member of the Class of 2018, received a perfect score in the AP United States Government and Politics Exam.

“I feel like students will be less motivated to strive in their academics when she leaves,”  said freshman Toipaureenah Orozco, who had Mauermann in the spring semester for English 9.

Mauermann was known to sponsor many clubs, whether official or unofficial. Most recently, students gathered to play the popular “Super Smash Bros Ultimate” in her room on some occasions. This past school year, she also painted positive messages in the school’s restrooms.

“I think besides the students, faculty and staff, the relationships that have been developed can’t be regained at any other school where I’ll teach,” said Mauermann, who will begin teaching at Franklin High School in the fall.

She has been a huge impact on the development of this school because she  worked here before it separated from Birmingham Community Charter High School in the fall of 2009.

“It’s going to (be sad) because Ms. Mauermann is a valued member of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School staff and faculty,” junior Larry Chavez said.