• June 7Grad Nite for the Class of 2024 on Wednesday, June 12
  • June 7Graduation of the Class of 2024 at 5:30 p.m. at Mulholland Middle School on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Senior Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Last day of instruction on Tuesday, June 11
  • May 31Minimum Day on Monday, June 10
  • May 31Finals schedule is from Wednesday, June 5 - Friday, June 7

Lady Patriots make it to city’s soccer semi-finals

By Rusel Ramirez
Contributing Writer

Photo by Robert Tapia. Varsity Girls' striker Hailey Pohevitz maintains the ball during a practice game.

The rush of running with the adrenaline for the game is persistent daily and through the season for the Lady Patriots.

As playoffs literally kicked off on Feb. 14, the team won with a score of 1-0. The last and only score was a clear goal for Birmingham which allowed them to survive.

Freshman Hailey Pohevitz, currently playing for the girl’s varsity team, has been interested in soccer and has been playing since she was four years old. She is currently playing as a striker for Birmingham Community Charter High School. She believed that playing was the best way for her to show her love for the sport.

“I like playing soccer because it’s just the sport that I love to see and do and I like everything about it,” Pohevitz said.

The season began on Dec. 13, 2012 with a victory against San Fernando High School. With a score of 5-0, the Lady Patriots were able to claim victory in an overwhelming game.

As the season progressed, both varsity and junior varsity have been practicing daily with great determination.

“Our practices usually start with grid, then keep away until we start playing games of scrimmage” Pohevitz said.

Freshman Monica Hernandez, who is on the junior varsity team, has a real attitude for the sport. She enjoys anything about the sport and loves to play with her teammates.

“To be honest, I love everything about it. It’s just a very enjoyable thing to me,” Hernandez said.

Sophomore Alex Pineda, who is also on the junior varsity team, really has a good concept to the sport.  Her coach inspires her to do her best in the soccer field. She finds soccer very interesting and enjoys to play.

“I think the team is a lot better this year. I’ve been playing for four years and it’s just the sport I like to do,” Pineda said.

The Lady Patriots have been working hard this season putting their absolute best in their games and practices. The team consists of many dedicated players such as Pohevitz and Hernandez that contribute greatly to the sport.