• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.

LAUSD students to use tablets

By Brayan Cecenas. In this photo illustration, students Robert Tapia (front) and Hassan Muhammad (back) use tablets to read and do their homework.

By Enrie Amezcua:

Textbooks have been an essential part of the classroom for years. But now, as technology advances, tablets, such as iPads, will begin to take their place.

“iPads can incorporate a better understanding of a topic by accessing the plethora of knowledge by the internet,” said sophomore Monish Gupta.

In February, the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board of Education approved to give its students tablet devices for educational purposes as early as 2014.

A total of 600,000 students and teachers are expected to receive tablets as part of the proposal. The process will cost the district at least $500 million. These funds will come from construction bonds approved by voters.

This March, at least 47 campuses, mostly in the South Bay and Central Los Angeles, will receive their supply.

Nonetheless, some still believe that a classroom is not exactly a suitable location for tablets.

“I think it’s a disadvantage for the students because they won’t be able to write properly,” said senior Kylie Greenhut.

It is still unclear whether or not students will be able to take the devices home. However, tablets will come with a general passcode for administrators to download software and monitor the devices.

LAUSD itself can actually save money by using tablets. Textbooks can be downloaded onto the device, which will eliminate the expenses of lost or damaged textbooks. In addition, tracking systems can be installed that, when connected to the internet, will allow teachers and administrators to locate the device.

“The world today is changing rapidly and for young people today, (technology) is your way of communicating,” said Principal Deborah Smith.