First school Comic Con in the works

Saba Mahmoudi

The school’s first ever Comic and Game Convention will take place on May 21.

Science teachers Stephen Schaffter and James Morrison came up with the idea of hosting a Comic Con.

Science teacher Stephen Schaffter puts on a "Star Wars" helmet while science teacher James Morrison helps him put it on at Northwest Fest on March 5. They also discuss details of the comic and game convention.
Eduardo Cruz
Science teacher Stephen Schaffter puts on a “Star Wars” helmet while science teacher James Morrison helps him put it on at Northwest Fest on March 5. They also discuss details of the comic and game convention.

This idea was inspired by the Northwest Fest event where high schools showcased their school to encourage younger students to attend their school in the future. This will be a way that the school can be advertised.

“We may not have cheerleaders or sports team because we are so small but this is something, we can do,” Morrison said. “Let’s play to our strength.”

The event is from from 9 a.m to 3 p.m. There will be a variety of activities such as board games, collective card games, demos and workshops. Miniatures, cosplay competition, food and prizes will also be included. Admission is $5 and that includes all events and lunch.

The school is teaming up with the Valkyries, a group of female comic writers as well as DJ Universal Comics to promote the event.

The Comic Con is not only for students who are currently going to school here but this is open to middle school students, parents and the community. It is a good way to advertise the school as well as Los Angeles Unified School District.

We are simply doing this because we love our students, we love our school and we want it to be something that is fun and everybody can enjoy.

— Stephen Schaffter

The event is meant to be something new that people who don’t like other activities such as dances and sport can come and enjoy.

“We have dances. What if you don’t like to dance? We have football but what if you don’t like sports? So if we are going to be an inclusive school let’s have something for everyone,” Morrison said.

Events like these require a great amount of time, money and help from people. The goal is to receive donations and perhaps sponsors. Currently some students and teachers have shown interest in helping. If anyone is interested to be a part of this, they can talk with either Morrison or Schaffter.

The ultimate intention of all of this is for students, teachers and families to come together and just have some fun.

“We are simply doing this because we love our students, we love our school and we want it to be something that is fun and everybody can enjoy,” Schaffter said.