• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove

API score shoots to 823

Graph by Elitza Batchiyska. Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s API scores have shown significant increase throughout the past three years of the school’s existence. The school received a 777 during its first year, an 802 during its second and an 823 this previous school year.

By Elitza Batchiyska
Editor-in-Chief

With a 21-point jump in the Academic Performance Index (API) score, Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) is building its reputation as one of the top high schools in the region.

Last year’s API score of 802 increased to 823, which was more than students and faculty expected.

“I couldn’t believe it,” said former principal Janet Kiddoo. “I thought it was a mistake.”

DPMHS currently has the 15th highest API score of all 164 of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) high schools, a boost from 18th last year.

In celebration of last year’s API score, Kiddoo, math teacher Leslie Hicks and former magnet coordinator Laverne Potter spray-painted their hair a vibrant turquoise in front of students during an extended Fiesta Friday lunch.

This year, another hair-styling celebration may be in order, but it is still unknown as to what it will consist of.

“It might be something involving a mohawk and turquoise hair,” said Principal Deborah Smith. “I heard rumors that Kiddoo will be celebrating, as well.”

Smith knew about the API score two days before the announcement was made, but had to keep it a secret from students and staff.

According to Kiddoo, the next goal is to reach an API of 850, but she states it’s harder to improve once you hit the 800 mark. Nonetheless, there are plans on how to prepare the students even better this year for an API score that outshines this year’s.

“I’d like to see Daniel Pearl add 10 more points to next year’s API score,” said math teacher Leslie Hicks. “The API score takes into account for the CAHSEE proficiency rate and CST scores, so I will continue to teach my math classes according to the California State Standards, which specify those topic that appear on the tests.”

Many teachers have high hopes for constantly improving scores and expectations of what these scores will do for the school.

“(I think this score will) bring a notoriety to our school,” Smith said. “It will demonstrate to communities around us that we’re a school that continues to push further.”