Club spotlight: Red Cross begins helping others

Red Cross Coordinator Kinsey Egan-Mcgee presents to the Red Cross Club about future trainings and activity ideas.

Jessica Berrios

Saba Mahmoudi

Senior Yasmine Saraf’s started the Red Cross Club last November with a goal to be trained and ready for emergencies.

“I came up with the idea to start the club that would help us as students and volunteers to reach out to the community and help others,” Saraf said. “Also, for students to get their community service hours.”

The club started with only nine members with Saraf as the president and junior Ilana Gale, managing editor of The Peal Post, as their vice president.

Meetings usually take place every other Thursday in Room 5. Teacher sponsor James Morrison sometimes contributes in the club’s discussion and activities. He points out ideas or plans that may have not been clear or encourages new ideas.

“I think this (club) is the type of thing that people should be involve in,” Morrison said.

However, it is dependent on the club’s president and the members to come up with new activities and make the final decisions.

Currently, they are learning how to produce a puppet show to bring earthquake awareness to elementary school kids but it is not yet known when or where the presentation will be.

Red Cross coordinator, Kinsey Egan-Mcgee is the employee for AmeriCorps and the volunteer for Red Cross. She is in charge of all Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid training and the first aid puppet show.

“I supervise high school clubs. The blood drives, fundraiser and community outreach for emergency preparations,” Egan-Mcgee said.

Instead of the leadership class, Red Cross is in charge of the blood drive that takes place once every semester.

They are also cleaning and updating the emergency earthquake supplies during  Sparkle Saturday.

Red Cross Club is and ongoing club with over 30 members and is accepting members.

“Being part of the club is amazing. It feels good to know how you can help others,” senior Chanel Jacobo said.