Clubs host spring cleaning in preparation for Open House

Chris Bower

Students, parents, teachers and community members will soon be joining forces as a part of the school’s annual spring cleaning event, Sparkle Saturday.

Held in the weeks prior to Open House, this year’s Sparkle Saturday is on March 14 and is filled with plans to spruce up the campus in a major way.

There will be many clean-ups going on at once, including sweeping the parking lot, removing any trash or leaves from the courtyards and lightly trimming any hedges and plants that need it. This will also be the last day to bring in items for the Goodwill donation program, as all of the donations will be picked up that day.

Both the Interact Club and the Red Cross Club will be on hand that day to assist with the various activities and the Interact Club will be one of the first groups to participate in the Adopt-a-Garden program.

“Our hope is to make the school extra ‘sparkly and clean’ as we prepare to open our doors to the community for our Open House and fundraiser event,” said Mary Bower, Treasurer of the PTSA.

Aside from the general cleaning of the courtyards and The Grove, there will also be the start of the previously mentioned Adopt-a-Garden program as well as taking a thorough inventory of the supplies in the earthquake storage trailers.

The Adopt-a-Garden program is exactly what it sounds like- a student or a group of students symbolically adopts a garden area within one of the courtyards and then proceeds to take care of it, keeping the school looking clean and nice.

As for the trailers, they contain the many necessary supplies in the event that a major earthquake hits while school is in session. The inventory taking place this year will help to figure out what is in the trailers, what isn’t and what needs to be replaced so that the school can be fully prepared in the event of an earthquake.

And if you are planning on coming to Sparkle Saturday, please try to bring your own tools (rakes, brooms, etc.) as the school does not have enough to supply everyone.