DPMHS wrestler sets eyes on becoming team captain

Alejandra Aguilera

Junior Stanley Cea keeps his stance as his wrestling buddy gets ready to launch himself at Cea.

Stanley Cea has his opponent trapped in a half nelson.

He taps out. Cea wins.

Late into his sophomore year, Cea joined Birmingham Community Charter High School’s (BCCHS) wrestling team. Now a junior, he strives to become the team’s captain for his senior year.

“It’s an individual sport,” Cea said. “You can’t let yourself down. You got yourself and your body. That’s why you gotta push your body to the extreme.”

Although wrestling season is over, Cea trains for four hours daily. Lifting his maximum of 225 pounds, running in rooms with temperatures reaching 90 degrees and intense core training is just a scrap of his workout routine.

“Stanley is really dedicated to his wrestling,” friend and football player Eric Flowers said. “As an athlete myself, I appreciate his work ethic and how he carries himself every day to do his job.”

Cea originally began as a football player his freshman and sophomore year but after the season ended, he joined the wrestling team. His goal is to make it to the City Finals with his team and win big.

“I will continue to wrestle because I feel like a beast,” Cea said. “I feel unstoppable.”