College Corner: Tuition on the rise

Brandon GIlden

Students attending any University of California (UC) campuses are going to see increases of 5% in tuition each year for the next five years to their tuition costs and that is upsetting some students, like senior Deanna Alvarado.

“I would like to go to a UC after high school because staying close to home is big to me,” Alvarado said. “I will only go to college in California though if the prices are manageable.”

Like many students at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, they want to stay close to home when going to a university but finances may limit them to only attend community colleges.

In order to maintain their high standards, the UC system has to charge students more money in order to make up for the $1 billion budget cut induced by the state seven years ago.

By 2019, UC students will be paying just over $3,000 more than they are right now for college because of Governor Jerry Brown passing a bill to raise costs. The bright side of this is that by that year, colleges will be able to accept 5,000 more students with the increase in tuition since they can afford more classes.

Senior Jose Martinez feels he could get a good enough education at a community college at a greatly reduced price so he doesn’t want to bother with any Cal State or UC schools.

“I want to get a good education past high school but don’t want to spend a lot of money,” Martinez said. “By going to community college I save my family a lot of money and I’m still getting the knowledge I could get from CSUN,” Martinez said.

There have been protests in the past when tuition prices went up so it isn’t surprising protests are taking place again. Walkouts have already taken place at UC Berkeley.

“These are supposed to be public universities,” senior Bagrat Taiyran said. “I feel education is a right and all these price increases are turning it into a privilege.”