Birmingham water polo takes home second place in city championships

Melyssa Montoya

Junior Maxim Grinfield and senior Anthony Dracic played on the Birmingham Community Charter High School’s varsity boys water polo team against Pacific Palisades Charter High School in the city championship game on Wednesday. BCCHS lost the game 9-11.

Brandon Gilden

The Birmingham Community Charter High School boys water polo team came one win shy of claiming the city championship after losing yesterday to Pacific Palisades Charter High School.

Even after a 9-11 loss, Birmingham players felt accomplished that they managed to make it all the way to the city title game. Senior Anthony Dracic is proud of how his polo career ended.

“I feel like we accomplished exactly what we wanted to,” Dracic said. “We got closer to the team and we learned a lot.  I have no regrets whatsoever. After the game I told everyone that I’d rather lose with them then win with any other team.”

The Birmingham Patriots look to rebound next season with Daniel Pearl Magnet High School student Maxim Grinfield taking the reigns.