Patriots defeat the Granada Highlanders in explosive match

Brandon Gilden

Senior Anthony Dracic (No.7) shakes hands with his opponent from Granada Hills Community Charter High School on Thursday.
Tina Mehriary

The Birmingham boys water polo team is back in the City Championship finals for the first time since 2012 and they are going to be competing against the Pacific Palisades on Nov. 20 at a location yet to be decided.

Senior Anthony Dracic during Thursday's playoff game against Granada Hills Community Charter High School.
Tina Mehriary
Senior Anthony Dracic during Thursday’s playoff game against Granada Hills Community Charter High School.

In the semi-finals against Granada Hills Community Charter High School, senior Anthony Dracic had five goals and six steals while junior Maxim Grinfield had five steals and six assists. It was a memorable outing for both DPMHS students.  The Patriots ended the Nov. 13 match with a final score of  20-6.

For their final game the Patriots will need a game plan to stay focused and end strong.

No. 11 Maxim Grinfeld takes control of the ball during Thursday's playoff game against Granada Hills Charter High School. The Birmingham Patriots won the game.
Tina Mehriary
No. 11 Maxim Grinfeld takes control of the ball during Thursday’s playoff game against Granada Hills Charter High School. The Birmingham Patriots won the game.

“We pretty much need a perfect game. We need hard nose defense and get steals so we can fastbreak,” Grinfield said.  “Our offense needs crisp passing and we have to make every opportunity we get.”

Pacific Palisades is the number two seed in the 2014 Boys Water Polo Division 1 Championship so this will be the toughest game of the playoffs for the Birmingham water polo team.