• April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
  • April 20No school on Wednesday, April 24 for Armenian Genocide Observance Day
  • April 20Spring Serenade Festival on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Denim Day will be observed on Tuesday, April 23
  • April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29

Music program receives grant

By Kevin Pichinte

Contributing Writer:

With a grant that music teacher Jackie Gorski received from Little Kids Rock (LKR), Daniel Pearl Magnet High School will be able to expand its music program.

The school will receive multiple modern band instruments such as keyboards and electric basses.

Also, Gorski will be given a two-day training in downtown Los Angeles for the new curriculum LKR wrote to introduce the use of modern instruments.

“This grant supports our growing music program, and will allow us to increase offering music classes with a performance component at our school,” Gorski said.

LKR is a national nonprofit organization restores music in schools that don’t have expansive programs.

The organization is able to do this by uniting with public schools and teaching the teachers their innovative curriculum.

They donate instruments and any vital resource that would be necessary to run the music program.

Gorski has received grants from LKR in the past, which earned her thirty-five guitars for an elementary school she taught at five years ago.

She also received two much needed amps and an electric bass last year from LKR for Daniel Pearl World Music Day, which will be held on Oct. 25 this year.

Gorski prepared for the grant by cultivating a long standing relationship with LKR over the past five years.

“I am very excited about receiving these instruments for our music classes because we really need these new instruments to make our music program here at DPMHS much more efficient and I thank Gorski for getting this grant for us and I thank LKR for the instruments that we will receive,” said junior Emon Abdullah.