• April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

School policy on electronics may change soon

UPDATE Sept. 23: The School Site Council discussed the cell phone policy at last night’s meeting and decided to table the idea. For now, cell phones are not to be used during school hours for any reason. The idea of allowing students to use their electronic devices can be brought up again at next month’s SSC meeting if someone decides to make a motion for it.  Teacher-librarian, Tammie Celi and English teacher Paul Viskanta, are creating a perspective cell phone policy in the event that cell phones are reinstated.

By BRANDON GILDEN and AILEEN KANGAVARY

Every week, students are getting their phones confiscated for using them at nutrition, lunch, or even before school, often simply because it is just a habit of this generation.

There is always the urge for many students to want to check their phone during the day for any notifications or to send a message to their friends, but the phone ban causes these students and those who get caught stress over what they view as a harmless activity.

Previously, students were allowed to use their phones during school anytime outside of passing period and class time. Now the ban prohibits use of phones any time from 7:55 am until 3:16 pm.

However, at the next School Site Council (SSC) meeting, the rules may change… again. English teacher Paul Viskanta is attempting to get the SSC to reconsider the harsh ban and at least let students use the phones in classrooms as tools.

“My goal is to have an educational component to the cell phone policy,” Viskanta said. “There are a variety of uses of phones in classrooms from science tables, to calculators, to dictionaries.”

The SSC meeting will be held on Aug, 26 in the evening. Students are welcome to come and voice their opinions on the ban and to fight for their desire to use their phones.

“I’d like to be able to use (my phone) during break and lunch,” sophomore Jesse Cortes said.  “It wasn’t fair that they took that privilege away from me since I did nothing wrong.”