This generation isn’t all that bad, there are good aspects

Madeleine Jefferds

It seems that people are always focusing on the negative when it comes to this generation. Phrases like “The me generation” get tossed around a lot. Don’t get me wrong, they do hold some ground, but what’s good to keep in mind is that every generation has its goods and bads, strengths and weaknesses, so on and so forth.

So in order to lighten things up, I’m going to do something that is not done often enough. I’m going to focus on the bright side of our generation and believe it or not, there are quite a few positives.

I’d say the easiest thing to point out is the equal rights movements. As Daniel Pearl Magnet High School students, I’m sure you’re well aware of this, due to the fact that organizations such as GLIDE and Be More Heroic present here yearly, and we have multiple clubs supporting LGBT rights. Believe it or not, back when our parents were in school, they were never exposed to the things we are used to. Homosexuals were considered abominations in all states including California, and sometimes schools even taught their students that homosexuals were pedophiles. As for transgender people, a large majority of students did not even know about their existence.

The thing about our generation is not only are common things such as homosexual and transgender known about, but other lesser known gender and sexual preferences have been coming to light. Recently, Facebook added 51 new gender options. Even the most unusual preferences such as Otherkin have began to become accepted. And with the internet, people in places that are less accepting than Los Angeles have been able to educate themselves more on the subject, which is very important.

Another great thing about this generation is the higher quality education. What we learned in elementary school, our parents were learning in middle school, and what we were learning in middle school our parents had not heard of until high school. Learning more challenging things at a younger age is great for brain development, and, obviously, gives you more background information on many different subjects. Also, the internet and other amazing devices makes it much easier to access information, so educating yourself is easier as well.

So even though it may seem that you’re surrounded by idiots, keep in mind that every generation has its downfall, so always try to look at the positive. Be the best you can be every day and don’t concern yourself with others, do what you believe is right and I guarantee you that will change the world a lot more than whining. Every other generation has made it so far, so why can’t we?