Journalism students tie for first place sweepstakes, win 8 awards at NLAJTA write-off at CSUN

An earlier version of this story said the students received first place in the sweepstakes. But on Monday, journalism advisers received an email from NLAJTA stating that there had been a recount and Daniel Pearl Magnet tied with University High for first place in the overall sweepstakes. Beverly Hills High placed second place in the overall sweepstakes category.

Some of the participating students after the awards ceremony. From left to right: Features Editor Chris Bower, staff writers Elsy Barcelo and Elijah Zelonky, staff photographer Jake Dobbs, staff writer Irene  Feher and yearbook editor Ana Perez.
Some of the participating students after the awards ceremony. From left to right: Features Editor Chris Bower, staff writers Elsy Barcelo and Elijah Zelonky, staff photographer Jake Dobbs, staff writer Irene Feher and yearbook editor Ana Perez.

The Pearl Post staff tied for first place in overall sweepstakes while seven writers and one photographer received awards in a regional write-off at California State University Northridge on Feb. 22.

Twelve Daniel Pearl Magnet High School advanced journalism students competed in the write-off sponsored by the North Los Angeles Journalism Teachers Association. Managing Editor Natalie Moore competed in News Writing,  Features Editor Chris Bower and staff writers Saba Mahmoudi and Sheena Gonzalez competed in Opinion, Tech Editor Ilana Gale and staff writer Elsy Barcelo competed in Features, staff writers Irene Feher, Marcelina Vergara and Elijah Zelonky competed in Sports Writing and photographers Ana Perez, Jake Dobbs and Angelo Marmol competed in the photography competition.

Moore placed fifth in News; Bower placed third in Opinion; Barcelo and Gale placed third and first, respectively, in Features; Vergara, Feher and Zelonky placed eighth, seventh and second, respectively, in Sports; and Perez placed first in Photo.

Daniel Pearl Magnet High students tied with students University High for first place in overall sweepstakes and Beverly Hills High received second place sweepstakes. The students who placed during this competition are eligible to compete in the state write-offs on March 15 at Rancho Dominguez Preparatory School in north Long Beach.