Young adult fiction authors visit DPMHS

During a Dec. 5 visit to DPMHS, author Lissa Price discusses her books aimed at the young adult audience. Photo by Angelo Marmol

By AVIDAN RISHON GURVIS and MADELEINE JEFFEREDS

Two young adult authors, Elise Allen and Lissa Price, spoke to students about their new novels.

Allen was the first to go up during the first of two presentations on Dec. 5. She spoke about her books and movie adaptations she has written in the past.

“It’s not so much about the age group. I focus mostly on the characters,” Allen said in regards to her writing style.

The childrens’ book series she is currently working on is called “Enchanted Sisters,” which focuses on characters who personify the four seasons. Another one of her recently published books is “Populazzi,” which is about a girl trying to rise through the ranks of popularity at her new high school.

Price, author of the new young adult novel “Starters,” has published in 30 countries. Even more impressive, “Starters” is Price’s first book to be published. “Starters” involves a dystopian futuristic society in which the elderly possess the rented bodies of young  people because the middle aged have died off. The sequel, “Enders,” will soon be published in the United States.

Price also displayed nearly a dozen photos of her worldwide tour. The countries she visited included Hungary, Italy and Japan. In each country, she had been warmly greeted by fans and fellow writers.

Price spoke about “Starters” being her first book and fearing that she may not be able to switch genres.

“Publishers are very particular these days,” Price said.