• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove

Movie Review: “Hunger Games: Catching Fire” please fans by staying true to trilogy

By SABA MAHMOUDI

Jennifer Lawrence (left), Elizabeth Banks (center) and Josh Hutcherson (right) return for the continuation of the “Hunger Games” movie series. Although a new director Francis Lawrence has taken over the large franchise, fans released a positive response to Lawrence’s commitment of keeping the book and movie similar. Photo by hungergamesexplorer.com
Jennifer Lawrence (left), Elizabeth Banks (center) and Josh Hutcherson (right) return for the continuation of the “Hunger Games” movie series. Photo by hungergamesexplorer.com

The sequel, “Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” successfully brings the book to life.

New director Francis Lawrence, has built advanced visual effects, remaining loyal to the true nature of the first movie.

This expansion is necessary since Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) is no longer a 16-year-old teenager from a small town who became the victor of 74th Annual Hunger Games. “Catching Fire” gives Everdeen a bigger role in the political prospect of life.

Lawrence, Oscar winning actress for her role in “Silver Linings Playbook,” did not just act as a fictional character. She became everything that Katniss is. She made Katniss real.

Screenwriters, Michael deBruyn (screenwriter for “Toy Story 3”) and Simon Beaufoy (Oscar winner for “Slumdog Millionaire”) adopted Suzanne Collins’ best selling novel. The script is written in a way that maintains the qualities that have made the novel so popular. This, undoubtedly, is one of few movies that successfully transform a book into a film without making drastic changes or ignoring important information.

Collins even added a hint of high school romance to the games. Katniss has to decide between her handsome childhood friend Gale (Liam Hemsworth), and her longtime admirer Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), whom she acted in-love with in order to survive the previous game. All the while dealing with memories in the arena that continue to haunt her.

“Catching Fire” starts with Katniss and Peeta getting ready for their Victory Tour. Both in an extremely bad mood from the effect of their forced romantic deception.

A visit from President Snow (Donald Sutherland) is not aiding Katniss’ mood for the better. Snow is not someone who can be fooled easily, he knows the true story that is lying behind her and Peeta’s love story. Unlike residents in the luxurious Capitol, outside districts do not view eating poisonous berries as an act of undying love but as a sign of rebellion. Snow warns Katniss to convince himself and the nation that her relationship with Peeta was pure, for the sake of her loved ones safety.

Behind the scenes, new game maker Plutarch Heavenensbee (Philip Seymour Hoffman) is preparing for the Quarter Quell, a celebratory anniversary for the game that occurs every 25 year. As a special surprise, 24 former victors from past Hunger Games are drawn to participate once more. Katniss, being the only female victor from district 12, has no option but to return to the dreaded arena.

This new round of combat brings back some familiar faces from the first movie including Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks) and Haymitch (Woody Harrelson). There are also new actors with impactful roles but with minor characters. Jena Malone and Sam Claflin, who portray Johanna and Finnick, successfully add hints of comedy to ease the tension within the film. Readers of the trilogy have the upper hand with their knowledge of the plot and the characters’ actions. All that is left to do is sit back and enjoy the movie.

MPAA rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, some frightening images, thematic elements, a suggestive situation and language

Running time: 2 hours, 26 minutes