• April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
  • April 20No school on Wednesday, April 24 for Armenian Genocide Observance Day
  • April 20Spring Serenade Festival on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Denim Day will be observed on Tuesday, April 23
  • April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29

French cafe creates calm autumn atmosphere with desserts

Nesmon Cafe serves desserts such as caramel cheesecake and crepes. Breakfast and lunches are also available as well as a menu especially made for vegans. Photo by Alejandra Aguilera.

By Alejandra Aguilera:

Traveling to France to welcome autumn’s arrival is immensely expensive. Luckily there is the French inspired, Nesmon Cafe right in the neighborhood.

Since the need for caffeine is surfacing, large coffee shops become congested with a tense atmosphere of rush. There is no room for much needed relaxation. Nesmon Cafe has that warm environment that coffee goers yearn for. It’s interior is inspired by French decor that brews well with the new season.

Nesmon serves handmade sandwiches, mild drinks for the cold weather, and being a French restaurant, delicate pastries.The caramel cheesecake is one of Nesmon’s best sellers. The caramel adds a syrupy texture compared to the softness of the cake while the whipped cream on the side serves as a milky neutralizer used to  balance out the thickness of the caramel syrup.

Nesmon Cafe has enchanting interior design to create the mood of dining in France. Photo by Alejandra Aguilera
Nesmon Cafe has enchanting interior design to create the mood of dining in France. Photo by Alejandra Aguilera.

Although Nesmon serves a variety of energizing drinks like cappuccinos, espressos and macchiatos, Nesmon also concocts friendly beverages such as smoothies, lemonade and iced tea. To accompany their caramel cheesecake, it is greatly advised to  order the desert with their light iced tea, to avoid an overwhelming wave of sweetness.

Whether you’re eating in the indoor seating area, or dining in the spacious patio, Nesmon Cafe has an enchanting air about itself that spreads throughout the small cafe. With Billie Holiday’s soulful jazz melting into the surroundings of Nesmon, it is easy to believe the new season will bring serenity and warmth.