• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove

Athlete of the Month: Alvarez has big goals for girls soccer

Alysa Basmadzhyan
Sophomore Marianna Alvarez Patino stretches on the field before soccer practice at Birmingham Community Charter High School on Nov. 29.

Every month, we spotlight student athletes for their athletic abilities on the field. This month, we recognize sophomore Marianna Alvarez Patino.

This is Alvarez Patino’s first year on the Birmingham Community Charter High School junior varsity (JV) girl’s soccer team. She’s excited to be on the team and get to play and train as much as she can.

Q: When did you first start playing soccer?
A: I began playing soccer when I was nine and then I stopped playing because of the pandemic. After the pandemic, I decided to continue playing soccer again.

Q: What motivated you to get into soccer?
A: It’s actually funny because it was my mom who encouraged me. She loves soccer so I eventually started to like it myself and eventually just loved it. I remember telling her soon after that I wanted to actually get on a team.

Q: What do you love most about soccer?
A: I love how it’s just a fun sport. I love how you can have fun just by trying to score or even trying to defend a goal. I’d say being able to score goals is amazing. I also love how you’re able to work with teammates that help make the game more memorable.

Q: What’s the most memorable goal you’ve scored?
A: My first goal when I was on my first team. I remember I didn’t even know that I made a goal so I ignored it at first but then I realized that it actually was a goal. I was so excited that I made my first goal ever.

Q: What keeps you motivated to play during obstacles and challenging times?
A: What the results might be if I do. If I make a really good effort and continue to practice and practice throughout my training, maybe there’ll be good results such as improving my skills.

Q: What are you most looking forward to when the season starts?
A: I’m hoping that I play well and also be able to score a couple of goals. I also want to be able to give good passes to my teammates. Overall, I just want to play well.

Q: Do you plan to continue soccer throughout high school and maybe after?
A: I really want to continue practicing soccer. I know it’s hard but I actually want to become a professional player in the future. I think if I keep on training and just doing my best, I can make that dream come true. If that doesn’t work out, I would like to study communications since I enjoy talking to people and being able to express myself.

Q: Who is your favorite soccer team and why?
A: I’d say either Barcelona or Chivas. I like Barcelona because they have really good players but I also like Chivas because that’s the team from my home city, Guadalajara.

Q: Is there a professional soccer player you admire or look up to?
A: Yeah, of course, I’d say Lionel Messi. He’s a really good soccer player both individually and in a team. I also like how he’s a humble and kind person. Honestly, I’d say he’s the best soccer player in the world.

View Comments (1)