Students, teachers adjust to new six-period schedule

Jazmine Valerio
Senior David Antonio prepares to paint a mask with an ancient African empire-based design on Sept. 6 in AP African American Studies The course is a new AP class in its first year at the school.

Students like senior Jose Becerra have enjoyed the perks of the new six-period schedule, including the addition of a 13-minute break after period two.

“I love the break,” Becerra said. “I’ve been needing it since last year.” 

For the previous two school years, the school was on a 4×4 schedule, which included four classes per semester and no nutrition. However, at the end of last school year, the Local School Leadership Council voted to switch back to a six-period schedule for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic hit in 2020. With the change, classes now last 60 minutes instead of 90 minutes and run for the whole school year rather than for one semester. 

“I don’t have to stay in a class for an hour and a half now,” senior Daniel Hernandez said. “It’s super easy, super chill now.”

With the 4×4 schedule, classes were dismissed at 3:25 p.m. With the new schedule, school ends at 3:38 p.m. The added nutrition break after period two, which allows students to relax and eat cafeteria breakfast before their next class, is the main cause of the later dismissal. 

“I know that we need a longer schedule but I just want to be home early,” junior Leeron Nakash said. “Like I don’t want to get home at four.”  

Sophomore Mose Judge, who was on the 4×4 schedule during his first year of high school, is adjusting to the shift to year-long classes.

“I really don’t like that classes are year-long because I like when there are changes,” Judge said. “Last semester was better, the change of classes and the change of scenery.” 

With a new schedule consisting of six periods, students are now facing more homework than in the previous two years. On the other hand, year-long classes allow students taking Advanced Placement (AP) classes more preparation time before the AP exams in May. Students have the opportunity to learn their curriculum more thoroughly and gradually throughout the year. 

“I feel (this is) better than semester classes, especially for AP classes,” English teacher Christopher McAdamis said. “We have the whole year to practice essays, give feedback, work on the multiple choice sections, just more time to spend with people. It was a good switch.”